Saturday, July 23, 2011

"Life for me...Aint been no Crystal Stair"

"Life for Me...Ain't been no Crystal Stair"

Someone, who has been "a friend", stated recently,
That things come easily and just fall into place for me...
And added that others have to work long and hard for what they get...

Interesting comment, since based on the fact that I am almost 59 years old...
And I have...
Lost my Beloved Brother, Best Friend and Soul Mate to sucide...
Buried both my parents...
Married and divorced twice...
Married to a drug addict and an alcoholic
Raised 3 children on my own, with no financial support from anyone...
Worked a boring job, (sometimes two)...
Struggling from pay check to pay check,
to give my children the best life possible,
And at the same time going for my third degree nights,
And graduating with distinction...
And then as an added bonus survived both ex husbands,
As they went to early graves...
And that since my self imposed early retirement,
Embarked on to follow my dreams...
That it has been one struggle,
And one dark night of the soul after another,
Sometimes with not enough money for food, rent or basic necessities
And much self doubt and pain...

And on the subject of men...
Well, all I can say folks,
Is that I have kissed a LOT of frogs,
Before I met my Prince!
(Be blessed, that I will spare you all the gory details on this subject)

But even, throughout all of it,
I did not give up my dream,
Nor did I ever give up on Love...

And always, chose to focus on the joy,miracles and gifts,
That have been blessedly bestowed upon me...

This little piece is in part a way for me to vent my surprise,
Unbelievable hurt, sadness,
And yes anger that such an assumption could be made,
And by one who knows all to well, what my struggle has been...

But I share this, as a lesson for us all...

To be aware when we are in a place of self wallowing pity and resentment,
That we remember we are all walking this same path together,
That it is never always easy for anyone,
No matter what the outward appearances may be...
That we all "pay our dues"...

And this is the good news...
Because this is how we get to the place we are reaching for...
It's how we grow...
It's what makes us appreciate all that this life has to give...
The good and the bad...
There is no easy way, for anyone...
But Oh, when we finally get there...
Doesn't it taste all that much sweeter...

And here is another little Universal fact...
It never ends...
It is ongoing...
Always moving forward...
More challenges to face...
More mountains to climb...
More Joy to Behold...

There is an old Native American saying...
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his moccasins."

I came across a poem this morning,
By one of my favorite writers since I was a child, Langston Hughes

The piece is called "Mother to Son"....
And it spoke volumes to me on this subject...

I share it with you all here...
To be always mindful...
That We are All One...
We are all in this together...
That we all have our share of challenges and triumphs...
As Langston states in his poem...
"Life for me ain't been no crystal stair..."

And that when we are tempted to compare our lives with that of another...
It separates us from our Source and each other...
It blocks the flow...
And most importantly...
It robs us of the Joy and Gratitude to be found in the Present Moment...
And that we should celebrate it All!

Mother To Son
Langston Hughes

"Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now—
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair."

As you walk through your day...
Especially if it is a particularly difficult one...
Be mindful of the tendency we all have to judge and compare...
And remember...

Everyone wants to live
on top of the mountain.
But all the happiness
and growth occurs
while you're climbing it.

Perhaps, Osho said it best...

"If you are alive there is inconvenience.
If you are alive there are challenges...
Reality has no security and that is its beauty.
Life has no security and that is its beauty.
Because there is no security, there is adventure...
If you miss adventure, you miss all.
If your life is not that of an adventurer,
of a search into the unknown,
then you are living in vain."

No comments:

Post a Comment